Monday, May 7, 2012

Why does the sound not work when installing my new video card???

I have a new Compaq Presario SR5050NX running Windows Vista and chincy integrated video and sound. I just upgraded the video to a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT card. The installation went fine. The I get no problems at all with the graphics, but the strangest thing is that now I have no sound. I triple checked my speakers and the connection in the back of the computer. Nothing wrong there. But when I uninstalled the ATI card and went back to the inegrated card, the sound came back on. So it seems the integrated components are dependent on each other. Is there a way around this or am I now stuck dropping more $ for separate sound card??



Thanks.|||Yes... I had the same problem. It turns out that the ATI Radeon 2600 installation process installs the "ATI HD Audio Rear Output" as the default device for several of the audio settings.



Go into “Sounds and Audio devices” in the control panel and check the default audio setting. The problem is usually caused by its setting. Therefore, if default setting is “ATI HD Audio rear output”, please change its setting to onboard or external audio device that you want to use in your system.



When and if you need to use HDMI to output audio, you can change its setting to “ATI HD Audio rear output”.



Hope this helps...|||Go into device manager and check things out. This should tell if there are any conflicts. Sounds like you may have an IRQ conflict. If that is case you'll need to play around in your BIOS. I would call support either by the pc manufacturer or from the sound card.

No comments:

Post a Comment