Monday, May 7, 2012

Is of my video card failing?

I have 2 video cards to power 6 monitors. Matrox duel head & nVidia Quadro NVS 4 head card. Seems that after having 2 failing hard drives and installing a new IDE HD, I'm still getting freezes and auto re-boots. When playing video on the monitors powered by the nVidia I can't get a picture in full screen but can see an image in "normal view". On the Matrox powered monitors when I try to put a youtube video to full screen the mouse & image freeze but can still hear it. I'm wondering if maybe my 10 year old custom computer is starting to "fail" - Motherboard, CPU, or Video cards. Could be one or more components. I just don't know how to figure out what's causing the problems. The new hard drive fixed the major crashes I was having with the old, failed hard drive, but still getting freeze and re-boot issues.



Remember, this is a fresh install of XP pro on a brand new drive. All updates completed. Drivers updated to the best of my knowledge. What kind of software issue could it be? If it is that. Or is the video card (s) starting to fail?



Also, can one bad V Card cause the other to have issues and freeze the system? Thanks.



E|||Yeah, it is a tough one. Any component that might be failing in the system could cause unwanted problems.



If it were me, I would start from the top - download memtestx86 and make sure the RAM is all good for starters.



A mainboard of that age could have failing components. Check to see if you have any bulging capacitors. The following image (in the link) is a good example of what to look for;



http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Ca…



If you see any like the ones on the left of the image, it is time for a new mainboard.



If you are keen enough, you could check inside the power supply for the same type of thing (be careful though).



CPU's are fairly solid, tthe normally either go or they don't, so I'd probably rule that one out.



Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment