Monday, May 7, 2012

Is My Video Card Fried?

Last night when I turned my computer on, the monitor said check signal cable or something. So I tried another monitor with my computer and it still said the same thing, so my monitor isn't the problem.



I'm afraid my video card is fried, however when I turn the computer on the fan on the GPU (or video card) is moving, and so is the power fan, as well as the CPU fan. The green power light on the mother board turns on, so I believe that all components are fine, but I could be wrong.



I'm too afraid of touching anything in my computer, as I do not want to break anything or cause any further damage (if there already is some).



Any advice is greatly appreciated.



PS - There are "beeping" noises when I turn it on, although they are more like "sounds" and not really beeps. It's sounds like it's coming from the CD Drive though...|||At boot up the system will beep for faults. One short beep and a blank screen OR 1 long and 3 short beeps is video failure to initialise. You did the other test, a different monitor so yes, your card is fried. If it is an onboard chip you can just buy a video card. Make sure your board has the right slots to take what you buy cause you can't just take em back. If you are just replacing a slot card with another in the same slot and the new one doesn't work then the slot is the problem, that means a new board. If you are replacing with a card type that goes in a different slot OR if you are adding a slot card to replace your duff onboard chip then you have to change the BIOS. At boot up press "del" or F2 (it tells you which one on screen) and find the video setting. Here pick which one is your new card, exit saving the changes and boot, install the new driver and you are there.|||If you have no idea what your are doing take it to a local repair shop. NOT GEEK SQUAD but someone local.



From what you describe so far, the problem could be just about anything.|||You might be hearing beep error codes. Those are very important to diagnosing your problem! What pattern is there to the beeps?

No comments:

Post a Comment