Sunday, May 6, 2012

Computer freezes during games due to video card?

I have just newly built a computer and everything is working fine except my computer freezes a few mins into a game. It also freezes almost immediately when I change my resolutions in a game. I am almost certain this is due to my graphics card but can it potentially be my monitor? My monitor is a generic Acer x203h which i found lying around whilest the rest of my pc was freshly built from brand new components. The first time i installed the latest nvidia driver, my comp froze after it finished and so i had to manually restart to get the driver reinstalled. Also, when I intially installed the graphics card, i didnt notice it came with a pci cable (my first time building a custom computer) and i directly plugged in the card into a pci that comes attached to the psu. It was running like this for about a day until i finally realized the video card comes with its own dual pci and that both need to be plugged in for proper power supply to the card. Is my card by any means damaged due to my initial improper set up?



specs:

processor: AMD phenom x4 965 black edition

mother board: Biostar A770E3

graphics card: galaxy geforce GTS 450 (factory overclocked)

ram: Corsair xms3 1600 ddr3 2 gb (x2)

monitor: acer x203h





Any help is greatly appreciated.|||What power supply are you using? You could be running close to the maximum rating of your power supply, which can cause just the problem you are having (freezes, shutdown, graphic driver resets, etc.)



I'd recommend using a power supply calculator (a good one can be found at http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalcul… ) to figure out what your power requirements for your system are, and if necessary, upgrade your power supply.



The monitor itself shouldn't cause any freezing.



Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment