Monday, May 7, 2012

Is a refrigerator magnet powerful enough to break a video card?

Much to my chagrin, my computer broke today and I had to purchase a new one; one of the things that I'm doing is transferring some of the RAM and the Video Card from the old computer to the new computer. As I was preparing to do that, I noticed I did not have a screwdriver to loosen the bolt holding the video card in place.



In my haste to get the card out, I began grabbing whatever small edged objects I could find to get the screw out; I was unsuccessful, but I unwittingly attempted to use a flimsy refrigerator magnet in an attempt to get the bolt out.



The bolt in question is about a centimeter from the edge of the video card, and about 2 inches from the nearest observable electrical component in the card. The magnet in question was about 1/4 of a centimeters thick.



Did I just damage my video card?|||No.



The only things substantially affected by a magnetic field are CRT's and mechanical hard drives.|||No, you did not damage the card with a refrigerator magnet. In theory, it could induce a small current in nearby electronics circuits. However, the amperage would be smaller than other electric fields emanated by other (nearby) electrical circuits. In other words, another expansion card (like a sound card for example) would have more of an effect on your video card than the refrigerator magnet.



And when have you ever heard of a sound card (for example) damaging a video card? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment