Monday, May 7, 2012

Can my video card be fixed?

I just found out that my video card probably overheated last night, as my computer crashed and wouldn't come on completely after a reboot. It would flicker on and off, and the video card was super hot (I think a wire may have been caught in the stock fan).



So, I didn't know what it was, and started disconnecting everything. The PSU and fans went on like normal, so I started connecting components one by one and everything worked fine except the video card. The computer would flicker on and off quick. Even when the video card wasn't connected to the power supply, it might a high pitch squeal noise from the motherboard.



I already ordered another video card, but can this be fixed so I don't have to get another?|||If the high pitched sound was from the mobo speaker, then yeah you have failed hardware. You could boot normally using the integrated graphics?|||Take that video card out and do not try putting it back in. It has a short on it and you are going to ruin your motherboard if you keep trying to use it.|||Your graphics card is fried (remove it).



It can be fixed but are you prepared to spend a fortune?



Just get another, a generic (run-of-the-mill), one will do if you are not fussy.

They're not too expensive until you get into high-end ones.



PS: Anytime you notice a component overheating, do NOT use your comp. further damage may result. Fix it first.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment