Monday, May 7, 2012

My video card is melting!?

I just bought a 7600GT. It idles at 68 C and when I play Battlefield 2 it is at 78 C. Then it crashed to desktop.



Will this sustained temperature cause damage to the card? Will it cause damage to other computer components?



The video card I replaced was really hot. My 6600GT heated up to 84 C when I played Halo and idled at 65 C. I bought a 7300GT (which I refunded to get the 7600GT) and that idled at 47 C.|||i think its normal because those card are made to stand in such high temperatures.



Example My Ultra went all the way up to 88c Load and the tech dude told me its normal.|||PUT IT OUT !!!!|||78 c is darn hot but i think its not enough to melt your card. My card can handle 78 c. If it did damage or melted ur card then when u turn on ur computer you would get no display. If you can still play battlefield then ur card is fine. What i do is gett a better cooler for ur video card or point a house fan into your computer. I have a house fan i aim it at my side case which produces cool air and the temperature should drop.|||78 C is a normal temperature to have. Long periods of excess heat will damage a card, but that would have to be days and days of non stop gaming which I doubt anyone could do.|||Your idle temps are a bit high, but temps are normal for playing. Sounds like you need better airflow in your computer case. Those temps will not hurt the card, the shutdown temp is usually around 100C, so you should be fine.|||it sounds to me like you need a more powerful power supply.you said it just crashed back to your desktop? but you didnt get a bsod(blue screen of death).then it could be something as simple as adjusting detail effects in the game.you might wanna check to see what the requirements are for that graphics card.your most likely gonna need more ram as well as a stronger power supply.look around man,there are plenty of good deals out there.|||Just add more cooling inside the case, use a pci fan than can blow directly on the card. the idle temps are to high.|||This is way to hot. As you said that your previous card was also quite hot playing games I suggest you take a look at your case.

I suspect that either you don’t have a case fan, the fan is insufficient, the air flow inside the case is obstructed or the outlets/inlets are blocked. Also the placement of your case could be an factor.

To solve the problem I would suggest you open up the sides of the case (both) and put a fan next to it, make sure that there is ample space around so that there is an air flow.



The problem with a too hot card (any) is not that it will melt but that the heat differences from room temperature (switching the computer on) to 72 (gaming) and back to room temperature will wear out the electric structures and that can result in breaking something and ultimately killing the card. (physics, expanding of metal under heat).|||What a bunch of morons.

68c is not even close to a high temperature.

90C is high.

Chances are that you just need newer drivers. If you only used to ones that came with it chances are that they are outdated, since that card has been out for a pretty long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment