Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can you use components from a dead motherboard in a new system ie: video card,ram?

A couple of weeks ago there was a power surge while I was re-installing vista and I didn't do the smart thing and un-plug my pc.After one surge I turned the pc back on and resumed re-installing the os,then 10 minutes later there was another surge and this time when I tried to turn on the pc,nothing happened.Dead MB...so I was wondering if any or all components attached to the MB are also fried or if they can be used in my new system I am building.Thanks..and I have learned my lesson about power surges...|||Yes you can. But better test them one at a time. As for the power supply, test it first before you even attempt to connect it to the motherboard. Connect a PC case fan to one of the 4pin molex connector. Plug the power supply to AC outlet. On the 20 or 24 pin ATX connector, short the pin w/ the green wire to any adjacent pin with the black wire. The test fan and the fan of the power supply should spin if power supply is still ok.|||Well if other components use high quality components like good transistors than there is a good chance they didn't fry. In that case you could get a motherboard that fits your old components and try salvaging parts that didn't burn. If your new mobo will accept the same RAM, GPU Card, CPU, and hard drives there is a chance you can salvage some of your old ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment