Friday, May 4, 2012

Computer Experts: How to install new Nvidia video card?

I got a Nividia 9400 GT video card for Christmas. I already have an Nvidia 6200 GT video card installed on my computer. I don't need help with physically installing the video card as I am pretty comfortable with internal computer components. However, I am preparing for certain software/driver issues that may arise once I have the new video card installed.



I'm at work right now (and yea, I'm on Yahoo Answers instead of working) so I haven't had a chance to open the Nvidia video card manual to see what it says but does anyone know what the steps are to do this properly? Do I install the new driver using the CD the new video card came with before I install the video card? Or do I do that afterwords since I already have an older Nvidia card and driver installed? I'm not going from ATI to Nvidia or vice-versa so I want to know if that's cool to do it that way. Also, do I need to do anything in BIOS before or after? Or do I only go into the BIOS if I absolutely HAVE to change a setting to make it work?



Other than that, if anyone has any warnings, advice or tips on your experience in installing and upgrading an Nvidia video card and driver, please let me know so I can have the smoothest installation possible. I really get stressed out when I install something new and it ends up not working because of one tiny setting needs to be changed or reconfigured.



*Reason for upgrading is to enhance the performance of Maya, Photoshop, Unreal Editor, video games and to also hook up a second monitor to increase 3D art production. I hope I'm taking the right steps.



Thank you for your time.



http://www.thegamerreport.com|||Wow, the misinformation is astounding.



Ok, it's really simple. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, and look for "NVIDIA Drivers". Uninstall them, and shut down. Put your new Video Card in where the old one was. Boot up your computer, and the display may look odd/blurry. This is because you're using the windows default drivers. Do not worry about this. Go to http://www.nvidia.com and go to download drivers. Select your card and OS, download and install the drivers. Restart and you're ready to go.



NOTE: Going to the site instead of using the CD is optional, but chances are the drivers on the CD are outdated, so it's easiest just to go directly to the site and download the newest ones.|||I upgrraded my video card for christmas too. (From a 7300GS to a 9800GTX+) All i did was replace the hardware in my computer and voila, i was done. Of course, i installed the drivers from the cd directly afterwards just to make sure there would be no hiccups. The computer didnt let me get DirectX10, but thats about the only problem i got.|||you have to run Vista to use 10 and 10.1. delete out the old drivers, power down, switch cards, power up, install the new drivers and reboot....|||Upgrading from one nVidia card to another is pretty simple. All you have to do is download the latest drivers from nVidia, shut down your system, change the card, power up and the card will automatically be recognized. You shouldn't have to install the drivers off the CD, or uninstall anything. I went to the nVidia driver download page, selected your video card and it pulled up a driver that includes not only your card but all the new ones as well. Simple. A BIOS update may be needed, but I can't see why.

The DirectX 10 thing has to do with the operating system, not the graphics card, BIOS or anything else. Microsoft has limited DirectX 10 for Vista only*. Tricky of them. DirectX 10 is pretty much the only reason to get Vista.

Anyhow, the 9400 GT gets good reviews. Should help with all the applications you're using. Have fun.

Good luck!|||Again, I wish i was psychic so i would know what operating system you're running. Most times if you go into the add and remove programs and uninstall the related software you have done the first step. next go to the control panel/ device manager/ dislpay adapters, right click on your display adapter and to properties. Uninstall the Hardware and insert the software disk in the CD/DvD drive and shut down the computer. Exchange your card and hook everything back up. double check everything.

Restart your computer and follow the screen prompts exactly. You should be on your way.

If for some reason Windows can't find your software let your computer detect the card on it's own. Open the CD/DvD drive and close it again. You should be able to install it from there. when everything is running stable you can check for driver and or software updates from Nvidia.

No comments:

Post a Comment